Travel bug.

As I embark on an exciting new journey traveling on the Kellogg's Tour of Gymnastics Champions to 40 cities nationwide, I figured I would keep my dear friends and family in the loop on my life for the next couple of months. Little time to talk on Tour, so hopefully this satisfies your tastebuds until I see you in November.

Lots of X's and O's.
ANW

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Humbled.

Reporting from (a very windy) St. Paul, Minnesota. 

Thank you, God. Thank you for sharing with me not one, but TWO great stories today. Two different encounters with two very different strangers opened my eyes a little bit. And, it was just what I needed. 

With only 24 hours to spend in Des Moines, Iowa, I was definitely rushed for time. 

Early this morning, I found myself in a hotel shuttle - with every intent to run a few errands. While getting lost on the way to my destination, I decided to strike up conversation with the driver. We comfortably jumped right into chatting. He told me about his journey in this life and how he became a Christian. He openly shared with me the recent miracle of his church being saved from bankruptcy and how they were able to unite with another church to form 'one big happy family'. His church is called 'Words', rather than a 'nondenominational' church. Why? He says because we are all here for the same reason, so why try to separate us? I believe he is right. Before I hopped out of the car, I shared my 'life-driven purpose' and encouraged him to read the book, too. He seemed excited to do so. 

Later this evening, I found myself in a taxi cab coming back to my hotel. I was dead tired, but interested in having a conversation with someone. (Lucky or unlucky for the cab driver; you decide). Small talk turned into big talk. He told me the story of how he ran away from his country during the Rwandan Civil War. With nothing but the clothes on his back, and his dad and brother by his side, he walked for days to freedom. Although he was thankful to be rid of the turmoil in his country, he was forced to leave one thing behind; his wife. After arriving to the US, he spent 9 years trying to find her. He spent years and years working and waiting, working and waiting. And 9 years later - she miraculously reappeared. To this day, they are happily married and are raising three kids in the suburbs of St. Paul. 

Traveling is tough sometimes when you are away from the ones you love most. It is experiences like these that make me feel at ease and connected to the people around me. I am thankful for my experience in meeting these men and am happy they shared their stories with me. I feel truly humbled tonight.  

Until we meet again, 
ANW 



No comments:

Post a Comment